Monday, 14 March 2016

What happened when I Used coconut oil on my face

You're probably eating it by now, right? Might as well put it on your face. Here's what happened when I did.

The First Time
I've mentioned this briefly but a few years ago, I used coconut oil and broke out about two days later with three or four cystic pimples that seemed to be clogged and hard to the touch. So, I stopped using it straight away, and they took quite a while to calm down and go away. So, I never went back.

The Last Time
About a week ago, I ran out of moisturiser, so I took the risk.
I still haven't broken out. I think the difference was, the type of coconut oil I used this time was one that was hardly processed. When my skin reacted, I was using a refined oil. It was still organic, and cold-pressed, but my skin did not respond well. It would work for you if you aren't as sensitive as I am, and prefer an oil that doesn't have a strong coconut flavour and smell.

'Coconut' by Hafiz Issadeen licensed under CC BY 2.0

Here are a few skincare products that I think are great. Most of these lean towards being 'natural skincare'.

Just Coconut Oil
Organic, refined: Nutiva Refined Coconut Oil
Organic, unrefined: Island Fresh Coconut Oil

Moisturisers/Lotions
Organic Coconut Oil Face Moisturizer with Retinol and vitamins
Eminence Organics Coconut Age Corrective Moisturizer

Face Wash

Facial Oil (Certified Organic)
RMS Beauty Oil

Other Uses
leave-in hair mask
body lotion
mix in with moisturiser for a dewier look
use in DIY masks
clean your make-up brushes


I know quite a few people try this and either swear by it, and hoard bottles for the rest of their lives, or completely hate it. My grandmother who has both have beautiful skin and hair has used coconut oil and has always tried to convince me to use this since I was a child. I never stuck to the habit and forgot about it until a few years ago when it became a "health food" and trendy. I wish I listened to her sooner. She's always right.

xo, Amali

4 comments:

  1. This is something I've never tried before, but I might consider doing so now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try this for so long! It seems like people use it everywhere!

    http://imperfectlyrachel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to work for everything haha

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...